Wednesday, May 3, 2017

La Semana Santa

Of my whole trip, La Semana Santa was one of the events I was looking forward to celebrating the most. I arrived to Antigua on a Monday basically 2 weeks before Easter. Ever since I have met my Family de Momma Sandra, I usually book it to Lake Atitlan to be with them. But this time I really wanted to experience some of the processions in Antigua as well. Every Sunday during lent, I learned that there are processions in Antigua with their famous carpets or "alfombras". 

When I first arrived just seeing the way all the doors, windows, and street corners were adorned with flowers and purple was exciting. 





I absolutely love this sign too! As far as I could tell, these signs were up throughout all of Lent.









I love how the carpets really are constructed by a whole community of people helping.













Notice the rope in this picture to the left. After the procession there were hordes of people coming to collect the leftover flowers.

Look at the huge bouquets of flowers in the bottom picture. 



From start to finish it was like a well oiled machine as far as the clean up process was concerned. As I walked home, there were plenty of other streets that were still decorating as the procession started around 11:30 and finished at sunset around 6:30. 


Back in San Pedro de La Laguna 

There were basically 2 processions a day starting Wednesday morning through Saturday night. In San Pedro they only built alfombras on Friday morning. (I think they did alfombras Wed - Thursday of Holy Week in Antigua.)


This is my teacher, Vicenta and her daughter Wendy to the left. 


Johanna the last girl is one of my sisters I am living with. 

I loved these noisemakers that were at the beginning of every procession. 





The flower (above) is primarily made up of old corn on the cobs




There were lots of alter stations set up throughout the center of town where they would stop and recite various scripture readings and prayers.  


The picture to the left is of most of the girls in my family walking arm & arm which is very common & I adore. The bottom is one of  "Papa Luch" who has a major role volunteering with the church so he was in almost every procession.  




Here are 3 shots from my favorite carpet



There was a cute Australian couple also staying with my family and they had the great idea to have a hunt for candy. So, on Easter morning we woke up early and went to a 6 am church service. We hid the candy for the family which was really entertaining to watch them scavenge. And then traditionally families all go to the beach for a big picnic. 








John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

2 comments:

Jodie said...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful information and the beautiful photos. I loved learning about the Guatemalan Holy Week traditions. Love, Mom

Unknown said...

The flowers are so beautiful!!! Love seeing pictures of the family too!