Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Beautiful Baños


Fact: Ecuador has used the dollar since 2000 which unfortunately makes it more expensive than most of South America. 



While in Ecuador I basically spent 1 week in Baños and 9 days in the Galapagos. (I had 3 days where I was in & out of Quito, but managed to see practically nothing while I was there as I usually was arriving after dark.)


Baños has it all: great biking, hiking, rafting, canyoning, bungee jumping, paragliding, volcanoes, bakeries, and AGUAS THERMALS! I booked 3 nights knowing that I would probably stay longer. I ended up staying a week & completely canceled my plans to go to the coast (also because the rainy season came a bit early...)

Baños has 2 main heated bath stations and other hotels that are more exclusive with aguas thermales. Both the public baths cost $3 to get in. You also needed to wear a swim cap which was an extra $1. In my 7 nights, 8 days I went 8 times. I also thought it was interesting because the temperature of the pools varies depends on the volcanic activity. There was one night I was there that the hottest piscina was 47.C / 116.F



The small pools on the corners are cold pools. The only way you survive is dipping back & forth between hot and cold

Correlations to hot & cold springs that I have learned over the years:
1. There is research called Balneology: “treatment of disease by bathing.”
2. Benefits: treat chronic digestive diseases, constipation, diabetes, gout, liver complaints, various forms of relief from arthritis, fibromyalgia, skin diseases like psoriasis, and eczema, and high blood pressure.
3. What actually happens while you are in the pools: your blood pressure drops, your circulation goes up, and your metabolism kicks up a bit. 


The other public bath was a bit of a hike (about 1.5 mile) outside of the city center. I did a morning hike and bath session twice. 









Waterfalls, waterfalls, waterfalls








 

This is just some fun garden art & a trash can outside a delicious bakery in town. 








It's not a matter of if, it is a matter of when I will return back to Baños...

1 comment:

Jodie said...

Dad and I loved this post and loved learning about Banos. It is beautiful! Love, Mom