Friday, April 17, 2009

The Sacred Beach

One of the most Special days I had in Coffee bay was taking all the kiddos to the beach. After that I managed to go for a surf, and then 2 of my closest ishomis, or friends, took me to the sacred pools.

Beach Day with the Kiddos


Typically I went to Khaya Lethu Monday-Friday for school. Then on Sundays I would go for singing, dancing, or whatever fun the children may have been up to. This particular Sunday Christine & I took all the children to the beach. Can you imagine swimming with 17 children and only 3 official caregivers? It was an adventure that rivaled my first year teaching at times. But this experience definitely solidified a lot of my relationships with the children.

If the children did not trust me before the beach they definitely did after the beach. There were times where I was scooping them out of the river because the waves had overpowered them. (Omhle, my danam, actually was so terrified of the water that she clung to me the whole time.)

Right before we had taken this excursion we had just taken in more children. I had barely been there a week, and I was watching everyone's roles shift. I believe the beach was the mold that helped glue the children and me together.

Unfortunately I did not bring my camera to the beach. (Not that I am positive I would have had seconds to snap any shots because there were always small children in my arms.)

We all rode in the truck which was easily one of the highlights of my whole trip. It was like a parade of sorts. The girls (plus 4 boys) rarely get to ride in the truck (only to go to the “local” clinic.) As the car swooshed past any creature that moved the children would scream out all kinds of greetings.


After we got back to Khaya Lethu, Christine had all the kids rinse off in the basins. Khaya Lethu had no electricity or showers. I do not know if I will ever be able to express how captivating it has been to see the way all the children really do care for each other. 17 children showered off in seriously like 10 minutes. the 6 year olds were helping the 2,3, & 4 year olds. Then the teenage children helped hose off the middle age children. The family dynamics of this place is mesmerizing. Each one plays such an important roll in making the house run. Their skills and adaptability simple blow my mind.




The Sacred Pool

Later that day Ilanka & Simon took me to the sacred pools. It was about a 2-3 hour hike in total. It a cross between the green belt & the tubs from camp but honestly WAY more secluded.

I captured Ilanka here at one of our final resting spots. The traditional Xhosa people are actually baptized here. You are not supposed to swim here unless you have special permission.

SIMON!!! Who can say they met their Indian Guru around the fire in Africa? And better yet - HE IS BRITISH! (For those of you who do not know guru literally means "remover of ignorance.")

After we emerged from the sacred pools, we had a beautiful sunset and some local children dancing in their lollies. Pretty much the perfect ending to a beautiful day!



No comments: