Tuesday, November 11, 2008

TOURY TOURY DAY

Brazil has easily been one of the best highlights of my trip. It is just so different and lively. The diversity is like nothing I have ever experienced before. A Brazilian girl said that the Brazilian passport was the most sought after passport because ANYONE could Brazilian. Everyone is so friendly & helpful, even though I would say only 1-10 people actually speak english. 

On my super efficient touristy day we all went to go see the Sugar loaf (a big lookout spot in Rio), one of the soccer stadiums, the Olympic center, a Carnival studio equipped with videos & cloths, the famous modern Cathedral, and the famous Christ statue on one of the highest mountains in Rio. We also had my first experience with traditional all you can eat Brazilian BBQ which was amazing!!! 
The Sugar Loaf:


Rodrigo, my tour guide, & me


I wanted to include this picture of the people working because it is supposedly the safest tram ride in the world. It is also the 3rd oldest in the world. I also found it interesting that it was named the sugar loaf because it looks similar to the sugar cane that was being exported out of Brazil after it was discovered & claimed in the 1500s by Portugal. 

We went up two tram rides & the next thing I know I was hiking through a bit of a jungle. There were monkeys & all these really cool insects. 

This caterpillars' legs was moving so quickly like someone's fingers move on a piano. 

The Soccer Stadium:

We could have paid extra to go into the locker rooms. But since I have been in plenty of stinky locker rooms & saw a futbol game the day before we had to entertain ourselves other ways while the rest of the group went in. 

The Carnival Studio:

The Cathedral:

Can you believe this is really a Cathedral? The stain glass windows were really impressive, and they had cool music playing the while I was there. 

The Cristo:

What a great view it was.....

I love this picture. We were so Cold & wet

Although it was disappointing that we could not enjoy the view & hardly see the Cristo, I thought it was appropriate because sometimes you cannot always see what you believe..... 

No comments: