Sunday, September 21, 2008

Taking the Plunge

I stayed at Alton's dive shop in Utila which is the smaller of the Bay Islands off of Honduras. Right when we gott off the ferry we were swarmed by all the dive instructors trying to sell their shop. Luckily every center has a fixed price. Usually the nights that ou dive are "free" since you are paying to dive. The island is relatively cheap considering it is a island. It has s great food selection and a nice nightlife. Everybody that lives here is somehow connected to the dive world or studying to become connected to the dive world. I also enjoyed some resort action thanks to some connections and biking around the whole island. But everyone comes here for one main reason, TO DIVE!

All the dive centers have tons of oxygen tanks ready & a professional who works all day filling the used ones.

Here is the gage that tells you how deep you are and how much air you have left.


The dive crew setting the anchor up front. 

The dive master is giving me my final inspection.

The finished product!

Although it is hard to tell this is me (look at the hair) at about 40 feet! 



Here are just a couple cool underwater shots. Some highlights were seeing an octopus, 2 eels with their high pitched squeal, barracudas, flounders, scorpion fish, and SOOOO MUCH MORE! But by far my favorite part of diving was the underwater dance the ocean seems to do. All the coral and sea plants seem to move back & forth with such a cool motion. 

Here I am after my final "fun dive!" Oh-yeah I am officially open water certified, which means I can dive to 60 feet.