Friday, April 20, 2018

What would you do if you didn't have to work?

What a blessing that I know without a doubt that my real "calling" in life is teaching. I left Austin feeling a little tired. Now, at the end of my trip, I find myself eager to come back to the classroom. While in Medellin, I was lucky enough to be placed with a really extradionary teacher. Casey, pictured below, is British and specializes in theatre. Which really reinforces how much we need to be doing movement, role playing and games with learning. I find myself the most excited I have been to attend his sessions and will incorporate some of his techniques in my classroom in a couple months. 




I am helping out in 2 different Barrios. Santa Domingo is the one pictures above with kids from 13ish - 25ish coming to learn English. 

Comuna 13 (below)


These classes are bigger, divided by abilities and have a range from teenagers to 50 somethings. 






Some of the Younger children just come and watch.




One commonality of the road is the way that you are often welcomed into new cultures. I cannot tell you how many Colombians I have met on the street or in these classes that invite me into their homes for meals, coffee or all kinds of adventures. It truly humbles me and warms my heart. And reminds me of how much more hospitable I hope to be in the future.

Hebrews 13:1-2 "Keep on loving each other as brothers. Do not forget to entertain strangers..." 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so glad that you have learned so much with this teaching experience! Thanks so much for sharing your adventures, Dad and I have learned a lot also - especially about other cultures! You are a wonderful teacher and I know you have been enriched by your travels in central and South America! I love you and can’t wait to see you next week! ❤️Mom

Unknown said...

So exciting! I can't wait to hear more and for you to start your new adventure in Austin!

Laurette said...

What rich experiences you have brought to all who are following you on your travels! How your students will benefit from these wonderful times and studies as well!
Love you so much and appreciate all of your stories and photos along the way. ❤️