Monday, March 5, 2018

It Takes a Village

While I was in Guatemala, I went back to visit my family on Lago Atitlan again. During my stay, I was lucky enough to be there for Fifi's birthday (who is Mamá Sandra's youngest sister pictured at the top of the stairs.)

When I was there, I was reminded of the African proverb: "It Takes a Village to raise a child." In Latino culture, it is very customary for the grandmothers or extended family to completely assume caregiving roles for the baby while the mothers & fathers are working. Every other day momma Sandra would go over to her niece's house to help bath & care for the baby.  



Mamá Sandra is closest to the camera on the right holding her niece's baby. 










Papa Luc & Mamá Sandra with her mother




Over the last couple of years I have been privileged enough to experience Easter, village festivals, weddings, confirmations and birthday parties. A lot of the times (but not always) the men and the women are separated during the parties. 



Although I am ready for my new normal in the U.S, I will miss the culture of strolling arm & arm with friends and family. I will also miss the slower pace of life. I know I will always return back to this tesoro. 

No comments: