Monday, October 10, 2016

Hot Springs & Wanderings

Next to my family/ friends, the thing I miss the most is a hot bubble bath. 


These are solar paneled baths. They last about an hour to an hour & 1/2. They are individually heated with all different size pools depending on how many people are in your fiesta.  





This is the vista (or view) from our bath 







The 2nd location is called Fuentes. It was a 45 minute drive outside of Xela. The water dripped down from the volcano like a leaky faucet & the closer you drifted to those rocks the hotter the water was. As I was situated in a nice nook between those rocks it felt like I was a queen on a throne. 



The 3rd place I explored was the hottest & most like an actual bath from home. It reminded me a lot of Hot Springs, Arkansas

Wanderings: 


El Lago Chicobal 







  1. The earth is not man's man is of the earth.



                     We only have one. Take care of it!



This is a sacred Mayan volcanic crater lake that had Mayan altars connected to your horoscope all around it. There were flowers & other offerings at many of the alters. When I was there, there was even a service going on by woman dressed in traditional Mayan cortes. Fun Fact: I learned that in May this park is closed to the public to honor all the native locals who can have sacred time on the lake without extranjeros. 
























This hike was called: "Caminata de la Muela" The hike of the molar. Looking up at these jagged rocks you can see where it got it's name.  









It felt like we all were birds in nests perched with the most beautiful view of the city. During my time in Xela, it did not take me long to realize what a thriving city it is. 


It obviously has a very different feel than San Pedro & the lake as a whole. When I returned back to San Pedro, one of the first questions the sisters asked me was did the women wear "cortes?" (i.e. the traditional Mayan clothing.) There is a distinct separation of the people who did & who didn't. There were definitely a lot more women who were not wearing the cortes in Xela. 








When I travel I am always drawn to the smaller cities for many reasons. I think because on some level I feel more connected to the people and usually the lifestyle is more tranquilo also. In Xela, I realized how lucky I was to have my family here in San Pedro. The other family was nice enough but were busy with their lives & never really engaged in conversations with me. As soon as I returned back to San Pedro my family lit up, whisked me to my room, braided my hair, and asked me all about my adventures. 


Who can resist KIM.KISSES?

6 comments:

Laurette said...

Elizabeth! Wonderful post and beautiful photos!
I love hearing about your adventures and about the lives you are touching while there.
Enjoy those amazing solar baths! Looks like Heaven to me.
We will be so very happy to see you in a few weeks! In the meantime, I think of you each day.
Sending lots of love,
Aunt

mrsmiller said...

What an adventure you are having! Love reading about your travels. Can't wait for birthday din din whenever you return!

Jodie said...

Love seeing all of the pictures and learning about the baths! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your travels with us! Love, mom

jandlroadshow said...

So envious. Missing you

Betsy said...

So fun to read!!! I hope you wore flip flops in those baths to protect your feet from germies!!! Te extrano!!!
Bets

Suzkoefoed said...

I must say this is great reading material while breastfeeding! Ha! And of course I am living vicariously through you wishing I could experience some green and mountains. I can almost taste the fresh air! Glad you are having a grand ole time. Keep up the fun work!