Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Iguales

Famila de Leon Cruz: La cuidad de Guatemala



It's fascinating to me how different countries have different concepts of modesty, personal space, & family living. This is a picture of an old "washroom" in a convent in Antigua, Guatemala. Christine is our lovely Guia who was born & raised mostly in Guatemala. Antigua still has community "fountains" where people go to wash their cloths.






 One of my favorite cosas about Guatemala on this trip is all the street art. On every corner, there is a testimony to God or perhaps something political.




¡Cuidado! 

Typically I do not enjoy getting too political or theological in any form of "social media." Maybe because there is so much room for misinterpretation. In fact, I wasn't even going to carry on a blog on this trip, but in light of the church shootings both in America & most recently in Guatemala I feel moved to do so. 

I have heard that some families in South Carolina have already offered an opportunity for repentance and forgiveness to Dylan Roof. That to me is some form of miraculous representation of true, divine forgiveness & Christianity. This is a clip from a newspaper in Guatemala about their most recent tragedy: 

The gospel is our only hope.

Governments can grant rights to people of all races, but only the gospel can eliminate racism in your heart.

Governments can establish laws against violence, but only the gospel can turn violent heart on a compassionate heart.

Governments can bring criminals to trial, but only the gospel can lead us to forgive.

Pray for our countries and for the families of those directly affected by this violence. Today I am praying for the victims in this church of my country. And I pray as they hear so much bad news it has the same effect on the iglesia and unbelievers: they run to Christ. Every day.


Finally, No puedo juzgar, I only can find comfort in my favorite bible verse: 
Proverbs 3:5-6 says:  5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. 6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your photos and commentary are beautiful. You've captured such incredible images of artwork, signage, and the gorgeous people from the places where you travel. Thank you for sharing your journeys with us. Safe travels, and peace be with you! XO, Lesley R.

Leslie said...

Elizabeth, I'm thankful you "resurrected" the blog and posted this commentary + photos. Both are very moving. Being a sheltered American, I had not even heard of their shootings that you spoke about. However, oh how I wish the commentary that was run in the Guatemalan newspaper would run on the front page of every paper in America.
It is only by the power of Jesus Christ, our living, loving, reigning Head, that we can live and move and have our being in the midst of a broken and hurting world. Peace to you, dear one. Safe travels.
Fondly, ~Leslie

Laurette said...

Elizabeth,
I love reading your thoughts regarding the forgiveness offered by those who have lost loved ones in Charleston and in Guatemala. So much that we can learn from them in the midst of their grief. A beautiful tribute that you included from the Guatemala newspaper as well. Thank you for sharing your trip through your blog. I love keeping up with your travels. Sending you much love, Aunt