Wednesday, May 13, 2009

It's all Chinese to ME.

Ok since I only have a couple of days left the last few entries are going to be more of "highlights" of countries if that makes sense.

Matching couples is easily one of the favorite memories of China.

Another highlight is all the children have holes in their pants to make it easy for to potty training. Kinda genius if you think about it... (Another major difference though is that it is acceptable for children to go to the bathroom just about anywhere. You see them on the sides of streets or parents holding them over trash cans all the time.)


Matt, Austin, & I with our spicy, hotpot adventure

Here is the bridge to Tiananmen Square. I of course know that China is a communist Country. I was oblivious/ had forgotten that the Government controls everything. Children growing up in schools have no idea of what happened: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiananmen_Square_protests_of_1989 There are no markers or plaques acknowledging anything.

China has also found a way to block or at least censor google. While I was in China I was never able to access google on the internet.




Helen & I in the Forbidden palace

China has a 1 child only policy. Just as an outsiders' perspective it was very noticeable. Instead of a lot of little children running around with one parent. There would be tons of caregivers hovering over one child.

Driving in America is going to be so boring when I return. You never know what you may see on the roads in foreign countries. Oxen, horses, motos, cows, roosters, pigs, ducks, buses. The thing that impresses me the most is just the hardcore manual labor that you see in normal day to day life. Everyday there are men & women carrying who knows what all over the streets. I feel like you never see it back home the way you do over here when you travel.

People doing their ritual bows, prayers, & offerings of incense.


The Olympic Stadium

This is my first bite out of one of the scariest desserts I had ever tried. As Helen phrases it the Chinese eat EVERYTHING! So naturally it makes sense that they would combine all their desserts into on Megasert. & serve it over ice. Gushy, mushy, crunchy, & chewey. Not my favorites, but surprisingly tasty.

Traveling reminds me of running a marathon. When you are in a serious race people are always out there to cheer you on & pass out water and other supplies. When you are traveling before you even stop there are always people rushing to sell you their goods.
Back home many people are consumed with their tans. In Asia most people want to be whiter. They were long pants, sleeves, hats, and carry umbrellas. Most of the products sold have whitening enhancers instead of tanning. Everything is the same same, but different. They always will point out our tans. We think it is a compliment, they think its bad.

The Bus chart

This was yet another moment where I was staring off into la la land as Helen was forced to be the "tour guide." One time Helen just started laughing at dinner, wondering what I would have done without her in Asia? The truth is I have no idea. I would have never gotten to see a deeper side to any of the countries because it is pretty intimidating as a newcomer.

We had so many dialogues & inside jokes created about everyone else around us because they were so confused to see her with me. Plus they could never pinpoint where she was from. It was one of my favorite games: Where is Helen from today? It always depended on the situation, bargaining, who was asking & many other external factors.... In reality:

Its all Chinese to me!

No comments: